Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Heavy Gear - Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! Thunderhammer, HO!

It's been a while since I've posted any new completed projects on this blog, but this beast of a machine was well worth the wait. I originally received it as a gift from my regular opponent Jay when he moved over to building a Peace River force. I never really rated the Thunderhammer much under the old Locked & Loaded rules, but thought at least it would look great in my display cabinet. Fast forward to the new Field Manual rules of making Striders great, along with it's use in one of DP9 forumite MechMerc's battle reports, and suddenly if found a new found lease on life to me. This thing literally towers head and shoulders over my Grizzlies, and it's profile made me magnetize the field gun so that it's easier to transport. I've also included a shot of the undercarriage, as there is a ton of detail there that you'd never see without turning it over. So let me present to you that that cause the earth to shake and many a Southerner to cower in fear, the mighty Thunderhammer:






9 comments:

  1. Awesome Job. Im dead jealous as Ive been waiting for my heavy gear army to arrive. i just want to put together and paint some gears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job!! It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent as always! Could you possibly do a WIP / painting guide post in the future showing how you paint your northern gears?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Matt, check out the next issue of GearUp, my army will be profiled in it and I due give some advise on how I paint up my minis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great Flatline!

    I've never been to keen on the design of the model (the legs just look too large!) but hat is a spiffing paint job!

    And what is this you say about making Striders great? Is it finally time for me to get myself a Mammoth?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess my comment got eaten when Blogger went down. Hehe!

    I've never been a big fan of the model (the lower legs are just too big!) but that is a great paintjob you've done!

    And what is this about striders becoming great?! Is it finally time for me to get myself a Mammoth? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martin, definitely take a look at the new Field Manual: both the Mammoth and Thunderhammer have Maneuver values of -2. Factor in a We're in Trouble Action and the new Overkill threshold rules with the Maneuver, and your Striders should be weathering the fire they were finally made to handle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! I've printed it and kind of skimmed it, but not really gone through it thoroughly (been too busy with Infinity). This is great news though, Striders coming into their own...

    ReplyDelete