Monday, November 9, 2009

Warhammer 40,000 - My Wife's Experience and Nerdiness

Sometimes you don't really understand the context of life until you get an outside opinion on things. Take miniature wargaming for example. To those who participate in it, it's just a fun passtime, but to those on the outside, it is the crux of nerdliness.

The reason I mention this is that my wife shared with me this experience of trying to buy me a GW product one Christmas season a few years ago. We were living in Ottawa at the time and had just finished up our gift-shopping at Place D'Orleans (it being a much less busier mall than Rideau, St. Laurent and Bayshore) and she wanted to get me a surprise, so she scooted into the LGS. You know your significant other really does love you when she is willing to head into one of these places with no real understanding of what tabletop gaming is or what she is looking for. Wandering around, looking at the various boxes, she finally thought to ask a couple of young boys that were in the store also looking at GW product for help.

"Excuse me," she asked. "My boyfriend really likes these things, but I'm not really sure what I should get. Can you guys help me find him something?"

One boy pointed at a box, "Well, does he like these guys, they're like space-elves, they're pretty cool."

"Or these ones," the other one added, "they're pretty cool too!"

By this time, the store attendant had come over to her. "Don't worry," he said, "just pick what ever you think looks good, and if he already has them, he can exchange them."

Space elves!?!? That pretty much spelled "nerd" right there!

Now I have no morale to this story, I just like to tell it, and my wife and I still laugh about "space elves." It's just fun to know how detached from reality we really are sometimes. Out of all that though, I did get around to painting up the minis she got for me that one Christmas.



A unit of Tyranid Warriors, armed with Deathspitters and a Venom Cannon. I've heard that they're rewriting the codex soon so I might have to spend a bit more time on these horrors from the void!

No comments:

Post a Comment